Sunday, January 4, 2009

2008 in retrospect

This seems to be a trend...
sorry for all the lists lately.
Here are the highlights from my last year (with help from my journals):

Spring
- I resolve to lose weight and not spend excessive amounts of money. (didn't lose weight til aug/sept, gained it back by december)
- I am confused by the fickleness of man.
- I realize that I either like guys for less than a week, or years at a time.
- 1 year anniversary.
- I struggle a lot with some theological issues.
- I realize that this semester is a good time to learn to work in groups of people that I find hard to deal with.
- I believe it cannot get worse (in nov, i am proven wrong)
- I deal with things in the wrong ways.
- I participated in a Dave Barnes music video.
- I realize even more that I am not a night owl.
- I fancy myself a runner.
- I learn that sometimes people's families are cooler than the people themselves.
- My cat died.
- I fear to fail some classes, only to find out that I have made all A's and B's and thus made it onto the dean's list.
- I am considered proficient at piano by belmont's standards.

Summer
- I attempt to recover from burning out.
- I am lonely. "This isn’t a summer of love or optimism. It’s a summer of fake optimism. It’s a summer of suck."
- My sister gets engaged.
- I wonder about sanity.
- I survive a tornado alone in the basement a chocolate store with no electricity.
- I finally read the last two harry potter books.
- I have a nervous breakdown, smoke a cig at church, and play for a perfect wedding all in the same day.
- I visit Nashville instead of living there and going to school. I decide it is a nice place. I also decide to truly appreciate the friends I (still) have.
- Goodbye's suck, even if its only for 2 months.
- I helped lead a high school girl's bible study with my sister. I try to make high school suck less for them.
- I spend most of my time trying to communicate across the pacific ocean and 13 hours time zone difference.
- I cut my hair short for the first time in like 9 years.
- I fancy myself a songwriter.
- I get my wisdom teeth out and eat steak the next day.
- I finally get used to living at home, only to have to go back to school.
- I wish Nashville was closer to a beach.

Fall
- I learn that it is rare to have too much time to prepare for something.
- I successfully perform in a solo classical recital.
- I suffer through two flat tires in two months.
- I realize that I struggle with depression.
- A "friend" kicked me while I was down, and I realized she was no friend.
- I decide that I do not believe in Carpe Diem.
- One of my closest friends got her heart broken, and it hurt me almost as much as it hurt her.
- I go to Alabama with two wonderful, beautiful, godly ladies, and get to know them better.
- Dressed as a witch on halloween, I fell on my face in front of President Fisher and his wife. They only gave me one pixie stick.
- I feel as if I have stuffed two semesters into one.
- I discover that I can graduate in 2 more semesters rather than 3!
- I realize that I don't truly know what I want to be when I grow up.
- My dog died.
- I fancy myself a rock star.
- I made a wonderful new friend.
- I voted for the candidate I disliked the least. I decided for myself, apart from anything anyone told me.
- Thanksgiving was wonderful. It is lovely to finally be considered an adult!
- I decide that I want to learn too many things in life. And that if I had the money, I would switch my major and study more things.
- I stalk a cute freshman all semester, and lose interest as soon as I find out his name.
- I highlight my hair for the first time.
- I wonder how much of my life is all in my head.
- I am .07 short of having a GPA high enough to be on the dean's list again. Alas.
- I fancy myself a writer.

Overall
- I learned a lot about myself.
- too many people got engaged.
- I have become a feminist.
- I started and did not finish writing at least 5 novels.
- I am in love and practical. I realize that the two can most certainly go together.

2 comments:

Sally'O said...

I should do one....maybe in June

Alicia said...

i hate when i start books and then dont finish them. i feel like it's a waste of my time, and it frustrates me that they don't get done.