Tuesday, February 23, 2010

music of the night

I was dizzy; I was inexplicably euphoric and carefree. I was a dog with its head out the window of a car, feeling and thinking nothing but the wind around its ears, letting the music wash over my face and soul.

My opinion on orchestral concerts has become this: One shouldn’t go to concerts to hear music you haven’t heard before. A concert is so much more enjoyable when you know every note; when you’re expecting every surprise, but laughing at the musical jokes that the composers play; already knowing the sorrows you are about to hear and sharing them. Getting to see the relationships from one side of the stage to the other.

Hearing a piece you already know forwards and backwards is like seeing someone you're good friends with. Its not the same if you see someone you don't know very well, or that you just met. Classical music can be so boring if you're not attached to it. So, people that say they don't like classical music just don't know classical music very well.

I went to an orchestra concert tonight, if you haven’t guessed. I was a little melancholy to not be up there with my friends, performing with them, but I had just as good of a time in the front row. They played one of my favorite pieces of all time, Tchaikovsky’s Cappriccio Italien. You should definitely take a listen. (I linked to the first half - it's too long for youtube so they cut it in half - but definitely worth listening to the whole thing)

No comments: