Thursday, February 11, 2010

reflections on thinning a violin bridge

My least favorite part about cutting a violin bridge is after you make it the right height. The next step is to thin it down to the right thickness with the block plane. I always feel like it takes way more time than it should, and that the block plane only takes off tiny bits of wood at a time, and my fingers start to hurt because it's hard to hold it that way, and its very tedious. D told me, the way to not be so bored or frustrated is to think with each chip, "this tiny piece of wood is now gone from this bridge, and the bridge is lessened by that much. It's gone and now I don't have to worry about it any more. I only have to worry about the bits of wood that are still on there."

This day is now gone from this life. It sucked at the time, but the terribleness is now lessened by that much. It's gone and now I don't have to worry about it any more. I only have to worry about the days that are left.

1 comment:

Julia said...

oh yes. and its one of the most important parts of the violin too!